Final day at #SaaStrAnnual 16′. This was the best event that i attended as a SaaS founder. If you want to review the previous days, here’s my notes:
What Makes a Great SaaS CEO
Josh Stein, Jason Lemkin
Key insight: If you can get to U$1m in ARR you are smart enought to do it. The question is: Do you want a put the effort it?
- It is crucial to set a great vision;
- Met Aaron Levie 2y before the investment;
- He burned the boat early to leave B2C and focus on enterprise. He had to “rebuild himself” to become an enterprise leader. All with discipline and hard work;
- He became the go to guy for thought leadership in the industry;
- Don’t say “I’m not a good public speaker. I’m not an enterprise guy.” You have to practice. You have to embrace the change.
- Set values and principles, that’ll make things easier;
- As you grow, be less exposed to day to day ops. Assemble a great team;
- 3 stages that require great changes: Up to 50 people, 200 people, 1000 people. You have to emerge as a figure, scale yourself;
- Set clear responsibilities for CEO, COO, CRO, etc;
- Empower people to make decisions and not bottleneck;
- Do not ask yourself if you are capable to become a CEO. Just take the commitment. It takes a lot of effort on the side. It takes reading every single business book. The key question is: Do you want to do it?
- You always have to be thinking 6–12 months in advance. Get advice. Bring external feedback;